AcuODBC User's Guide
Welcome to the AcuODBC® communications interface, designed to give you easy access to your ACUCOBOL(TM)-GT data from popular Microsoft® Windows® applications. The AcuODBC interface enables you to benefit from modern PC productivity tools without having to restructure your existing data files. AcuODBC is part of the extend® family of Acucorp® solutions.
Based on Microsoft's Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) standard, AcuODBC lets you retrieve and update ACUCOBOL-GT's Vision indexed files or relative data files from many Windows-based applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access, as well as Crystal Reports® Professional and custom Visual Basic® applications. These applications can access your files whether they reside on the same Windows PC, on another workstation on the network, or on a UNIX or Windows NT server.
This manual describes how to configure and use AcuODBC to gain access to your COBOL data from Windows applications. It describes how some Windows applications submit requests to data sources through ODBC, and how AcuODBC translates these requests into I/O commands to access your indexed or relative files.
Note: Unless otherwise indicated, the references to "Windows" in this manual denote all 32-bit versions of the Windows operating systems. Those versions are: Windows 95, 98, and ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. In those instances where it is necessary to make a distinction among the individual versions of those operating systems, we refer to them by their specific version numbers ("Windows 2000", "Windows NT 4.0", etc.).
This book contains the following information:
- Chapter 1, "Introduction," explains ODBC concepts and describes the steps to follow when using AcuODBC.
- Chapter 2, "AcuODBC Architecture," describes the architecture of AcuODBC.
- Chapter 3, "Creating Data Sources," explains how to create data sources (DSNs).
- Chapter 4, "Working With Windows Applications," demonstrates AcuODBC in action in three popular Windows applications.
- Chapter 5, "Writing Queries to Access Data," contains a brief introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL) and provides examples demonstrating common SQL commands.
- Chapter 6, "Mapping COBOL Data Items and Database Fields," explains XFDs (eXtended File Descriptors) and directives, code you include in your COBOL file to map COBOL data items to database fields.
- Chapter 7, "Troubleshooting," explains some error messages and introduces trace files.
- Chapter 8, "The AcuODBC Server Environment," describes commands available in the AcuODBC Server environment. The chapter also provides information on configuration variables and system security.
- Chapter 9, "Remote Data Sources," explains how to create remote data sources in both Windows and UNIX environments.
- Appendix A, "ODBC Conformance Levels," lists the ODBC commands that are supported by AcuOCBC Version 6.0.
Voice: (800) 262-6585 (U.S.A. and Canada)
Voice: (858) 689-4500
Fax: (858) 689-4550
Please share your comments on this manual
or on any Acucorp documentation with the
Acucorp Communications Department.
|© 1988-2003 Acucorp, Inc.|
All rights reserved.